What is an endoscopy?
An endoscopy is a way of looking inside of the body by inserting a flexible, thin tube, equipped with a camera. This helps our surgeons evaluate symptoms, look for possible ulcers, take biopsies, (for example, H. Pylori, a stomach bacteria that causes ulcers) evaluate for reflux, and other endoscopic procedures. Expect to arrive 60 minutes before the endoscopy and to be here 30-60 minutes after the endoscopy for recovery.
Why have an endoscopy at GHP?
GHP Endoscopy Center specializes in the examination of the upper part of your gastrointestinal tract. Our bariatric surgeons’ extensive background and years of experience gives them the skill and knowledge they need to make this process as smooth as possible. With our qualified staff who specialized in bariatric surgery, we will provide you with the finest care possible.
- Please check in at Grand Health Partners main office, Suite 100
- Nothing to eat or drink 6 hours prior to the test
- You must have a driver who will remain with you during and after the procedure
- Arrive 60 minutes before your scheduled procedure time
- Women of childbearing age will be required to give a urine sample to test for pregnancy upon your arrival
- Stop taking certain medications in the days leading up to your endoscopy. (NSAIDS or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory meds) Ibuprofen, Motrin, Aleve (5 days prior) , NO aspirin (5 days prior), Plavix (7 days prior) or Coumadin, or other blood thinning medications (5 days prior)
PLEASE DISCUSS THE ABOVE WITH YOUR PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN BEFORE STOPPING THESE MEDICATIONS.
- Evaluate for possible complications
- Allows the surgeon to view the stomach prior to surgery
- Look for potential hiatal hernias
- Screening for H. Pylori
- Evaluate results to see what troubles you
- Set up further appointments and testing if needed
- Screening of Barrett’s esophagus
- Evaluation of previous stomach surgeries
Using the GHP Endoscopy Center can mean lower out of pocket costs for you! We do participate with most insurance companies, please contact our billing specialists at 616-464-4619 if you have any questions regarding the billing process.